So, do you want to know why most diets fail? Well, the thing is most of us set unrealistic rules for ourselves and therefore set ourselves up for failure before we even start. Be honest, you can probably say yes to some or maybe even all of the following!!
1) I’m never again eating! As a Nutritionist I can tell you, that one definitely won’t work for you and yet ….. we’ve probably all said it!
2) I’m giving up bread & potatoes for good this time
3) I’m going to go to the gym 7 times a week
4) I’m giving up all sugar including all natural sugars, yes even fruit!
5) I’m going gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, meat free and any other free I can think of before Monday morning.
So, should you make rules??? Well, yes I think it’s good to make rules but make sensible, realistic ones!!!! Such as ….
2) I’m going to exercise as many days as possible even if it’s only for 30 mins
3) I’m not going to order desserts anymore but I’ll have a bite of someone else’s
4) I’m not ordering chips anymore but I’ll rob a chip if I really want one
5) I’m going to avoid anything with added sugar but Hey, avoiding doesn’t mean never!!
Don’t set yourself up for failure by making unrealistic rules like ‘I’m never again going to eat a potato or bread’, because of course you will eat bread again and then you will feel like you have broken your rules, failed and spiral out of control!!!